Elbridge Gerry Dodge
the father of Bernard Ogilvie Dodge
Sent by Judy Ragan
Mary Ann Rogers Nourse was born at Vershire, Orange Co., Vermont, on 27 April 1840 to William Nourse and wife, Mary Ann Rogers. She was married on 4 July 1861 at Mauston, Juneau Co., Wisconsin, to Elbridge Gerry Dodge who was born on 9 Dec 1828 at Grantham, New Hampshire to Levi Dodge, Jr. and Olive B. ________ (1850 Chelsea, VT census, pg 292).
On 2 Aug 1859, Elbridge Dodge purchased for cash forty acres in the NWSE 4th p.M. at the Stevens Point, (Wisconsin) Land Office (Doc. #11718, Wisconsin Land Records).
The 1870 census of Lindina, Juneau Co., (p. 64) shows the family: Elbridge G. Dodge 41 farmer $2500 R.E., $1000 p.p., b. NH; Mary Ann 30 born VT; Earl H. 8; Laura E. 5; Harper L. 3; Lillis E. 7/12; and Olive Dodge 78 born CT. The children are shown as born in Wisconsin.
Census records show the family continued loiving at Lindina and Elbridge is last shown in the 1920 census there, at age 91, living with his daughter and son-in-law, Laura E. and Edward H. Robinson (p. 13).
Mary Ann died 5 Jan 1911 and Elbridge died on 1 Jul 1921. They are buried in the Rock Valley Cemetery there.
Their children, surname Dodge, are (from bible records):
1. Earl Harold Dodge, born 19 May 1862, married 2 July 1892 to Ada May Jackson at Englewood, Illinois, born 19 Apr 1867 in Hyde Park, Illinois. A physician after graduating from Rush Medical College he was doctor in Cook Co., and later medical officer at Franklin Park, Illinois for 25 years. Ada was a welfare worker there for many years, and also a member of the school board.
2. Laura Estelle Dodge, born 14 Dec 1864 married 14 Dec 1889 to Edward Henry Robinson, 3 children; Howard, Florence and Ethel.
3. Harper LaVert Dodge, born 16 May 1867 married 1) 16 July 1894 at LaCrosse, Wis. Minnie Leach (they div>); had daughter, Virginia born 1899 married 2) 24 Mar 1916 at Tulsa, OK, Sarah E. Holland. He was a physician.
4. Lillis Evelyn Dodge, born 18 Nov 1869 married 29 Aug 1900 at Mauston to Henry St. John Lyon; had daughter LIllis born 1901. She died 5 JUly 1902 and their daughter was adopted by Albert Robinson.
5. Bernard Ogilvie Dodge, born 18 Apr 1872 married 14 June 1906 in Algrin, Wis., to Jennie Salome Perry. He was a doctor of botany.
6. Roy Ethelbert Dodge, born 22 June 1875 married 12 Sep 1903 at Chicago, Illinois to Cora Ann Severance of Mauston, Wis.; had two children, Lorayne married William Baker; and Mary Lillis married Paul Enghanson.
7. Morton Stanley Dodge, born 6 Aug 1878, died August 1906. He was a dentist and unmarried.